Clogged Gutters Are Responsible For Costly Damage To Homes and Buildings
“Proper gutter maintenance is important to prevent more costly repairs in the future. “Doing Nothing” can result in expensive damage and repairs.”
Potential damage may include rotting fascia boards, gutter failure, water damage to interior walls and ceilings, surface erosion around the home, cracked foundations and more. Don’t forget those ugly dirty streaks bleeding from water falling gutters. These issues will easily depreciate a home’s safety and value.
All rain gutter systems need to be checked and cleared of any debris on at minimum on a yearly basis. Even gutter systems with covers or other gutter protection systems in place need to be checked. Many homeowners do not have the experience or comfort level in getting up on the roof to take care of this regular check. That’s where Squeegee Dream comes in. We will come out and take care of this for you.
We make sure that each and every gutter is clear of all debris. While clearing the gutters, Squeegee Dream will check and snake any downspouts that are clogged and not draining properly. This is essential to ensuring the free flow of rainwater.
When gutter systems are working properly, they collect the water from the roof and direct it through the gutter system and away from the structure. Without proper maintenance, the gutter system can fail and could result in the following:
Water back up
- Heavy rains could cause water build up to enter the structure through the fascia under the roof line causing water damage. The water can seep into the walls causing damage to the inside. The dampness can then produce toxic molds and mildew.
Mold and Mildew
- Molds and mildew can grow and spread along the interior of the structure and can be harmful to humans. This can run into costly repairs to eliminate the toxins.
- Damp conditions and standing water under a foundation can also attract insects such as termites and mosquitoes.
- These types of insects thrive in damp and wet conditions. Termites can eat away at the wood material of the building causing serious damage. The destruction caused by termites can go undetected to the owner. The owner will have to hire an exterminator to eliminate the structure of the termites which can be expensive.
- Mosquitoes can also breed and multiply by the hundreds in moist conditions. Mosquitoes can carry disease and be a nuisance when trying to enjoy outdoor activities.
- Biologists recommend to slowing the process of breeding by getting rid of any standing water to slow the breeding process. Mosquitoes will lay their larva in water that will protect the eggs until time to hatch. The standing water in the gutter system are perfect breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Clogged gutters can cause roof damage. The water trapped along the track of the gutter can overflow and leak onto the wood structure of the roof.
- Trapped water can deteriorate the wood trim and decking of the roof. The decking and exterior trim work will require replacing.
- Neglecting the roof damage can result in serious problems. The weakened wood can cause leaks to the interior of the structure through the attic and eventually cause damage to the interior ceilings. The replacement of the ceilings materials such as ceiling tiles can be pricey.
Exterior Damage to Walls
- Clogged gutters can result in the water leaking down exterior walls and causing damage to materials on the exterior wall of the structure. Exterior siding, brick, rock or wood material can result in water damage.
- Windows located in the exterior walls can be damaged from the leaking water. The water can back up from the clogged gutter and run down the wall along the window frames, which will rot from the moisture.
- The exterior wall and window frame will have to be torn away and replaced with new material. This type of replacement can be costly to the owner.